We know that the cardiovascular illnesses They are the leading cause of death in Spain. But we also know how many studies have shown that many of these conditions are preventable.
You just need to eat a healthy diet, exercise daily and maintain an optimal diet. control of risk factors more related to them, namely:
But, even though we are aware of all this, there is many patients who know they have high cholesterol or are hypertensive and do not control these levelswith the danger to your health that this entails.
During the recent congress of the Spanish Society of Internal Medicine held in Valencia, the Dr José María Mostazahead of the Vascular Risk Unit of the Angiology and Vascular Surgery Department of Olympia Quirónsalud, presented data on the control of risk factors in the Spanish population from 2 large studies of which this internal medicine specialist was the national coordinator.
Only 1 in 4 patients with high cholesterol control it
One of them is the “Santorini Observational Study” published in the journal The Lancet Regional Health Europe, which included more than 9,000 European patients, including more than 900 Spaniards.
- Well, according to this study, only one in four patients have high cholesterol achieved the recommended objectives.
According to Dr José María Mostaza:
“Although most patients receive treatment with lipid-lowering drugs, Only 27% of Spanish participants achieved the goals recommended by European guides. A situation which put in danger to develop vascular complications.
Very similar data yields he Snapshot Studio, This is carried out exclusively in Spain in patients suffering from high cholesterol and high blood pressure.
- “Although 95% of participants received treatment to lower cholesterol and up to 96% received treatment to treat high blood pressure, Only 24% had well-controlled cholesterol levels, 30% had good blood pressure control, and only 8% had well-controlled cholesterol levels and blood pressure.», underlines the doctor.
The data is very recent and has hardly changed in recent years. “Even as the variety of therapeutic options available to us increases, we maintain very poor control figures», recognizes Dr Mostaza.
Why are we not able to control blood pressure and cholesterol?
Given the danger of not controlling these two cardiovascular risk factors, the question is why this is happening. The specialist emphasizes that there are many explanations for this poor control.
- The first of these would be the low compliance with treatments for hypercholesterolemia and hypertension
The reason is:
- That “theirs Patients are not aware of the importance of cardiovascular prevention, or that they only remember it when they have had a vascular complication
- The Iunderutilization of treatment by the doctor
- And less and less, lack of effective treatments for all patients.
The data coincides with the recent World Health Organization report released in September of the same year, which states that:
- Four out of five patients with high blood pressure are not adequately controlled
- If they were, 76 million deaths would be avoided everywhere in the world if, by 2050, the population was properly cared for.
The head of the Vascular Risk Unit at Olympia recognizes that there is a lot of talk about new drugs to lower cholesterol, “undoubtedly a scientific advance of the first magnitude, but we must not forget that currently We have excellent therapeutic tools that we underutilize“.